Topband: DXE RFCC-1

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DXE RFCC-1
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:46:32 -0500
Hi,

I have a ~540-foot dual-direction beverage made with the DX Engineering
transformer/switch. I also have a DXE RFCC-1,  RF choke, but haven't
installed it yet. The beverage works pretty well without the choke, but I
thought it might provide some improvement.

The feedline comes away from the beverage at about a 75-degree angle for
about 25 feet, then heads off at a 90-degree angle. In other words, it's not
parallel to the antenna.

The instructions say to place the choke 15-30 feet away from the antenna.
Due to the various connections involved, it would be much easier to place it
near the feedpoint (i.e., next to the transformer/switch), using its own
dedicated ground rod, as required. So, I'm wondering why it's better to
place the choke away from the antenna. Can someone enlighten me about this?

73, Dick WC1M