Re: Topband: tower effecting antenna

To: Alan Wells <alan@wells.karoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: tower effecting antenna
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:47:18 -0400
Alan,

An 80 foot vertical, assuming that you connect a wire at the top of the
20 foot fiberglass which is connected to the 60 foot metal tower top,
and also assuming that you have a fair to good ground system, can be a
good 160 meter vertical for DX communications.  If you can put some
10-15 foot  spiders at the top of the pole even better.

To raise the feed point impedance and even improve the bandwidth
somewhat, I would recommend you drop a 3 or 4 wire cage from the top of
the 60 foot tower and then tap the tower to the cage  for the 50 ohm
sweet point so the bottom of the cage will exhibit close to 50 ohms.
There will be some inductive reactance that can be remove with a
variable capacitor (and the replaced with a fixed mica value capable of
handling the current, depending on your power levels).

Contrary to some opinion...the tower need not be self resonant at 1.8
Mhz.  The key is a good ground and a good match to what ever is there
vertically.  Even top loading enhancement with some short 20-30 foot
guys ...and then insert insulators before making the rest of the drop to
ground guy points, while keeping the angle of declivity not less than 45
degrees should help a bit.  But modeling the spiders at the top may show
that they may be good enough for you need.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ