Topband: JR7VHZ "Signal Boost" in VE3 this morning

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JR7VHZ "Signal Boost" in VE3 this morning
From: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:58:12 -0500
Good Day all

JR7VHZ was a 219 to 319 at 1130z this morning BUT then at 12:25z he went to
a 579, yes S7 on the IC 756 PRO III, and he stayed between S5 to S7 for
about two minutes. I have never seen JA's at S7 on topband before without
being preamped. It was no problem working him with 100W and we both
exchanged 559's. Shortly afterward he was spotted and the roof then fell in
when many stations starting calling non stop. He remained Q5 for some time
and was still just audible ( but not workable ) at SR + 18 min here. The
exact same thing happened in March of 2005 when I worked JH5FXP at 1124z (
although he never peaked past S5 ). Both openings lasted less than two
minutes ( Spot light propagation maybe ) at the S5 - S7 level but both
stations were audible for almost an hour afterward.

What ever the mechanism is that causes these very short lived signal
"boosts" it has allowed me to also work RX0AE and R1FJM this season ( with
100 W ) but only during the "two minute S5 window".

Sounds like very short lived Spot light propagation to me. Can anyone
confirm this? Has anyone else also experienced this?

Even if it's elves on the antenna I hope it continues.....

73
Brian
VE3MGY