Topband: Gamma matched crank up tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Gamma matched crank up tower
From: "john" <jb@beaumonts.karoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:53:33 -0000
Good day everyone and seasons greetings,
I have just change from a full size inv vee to a shunt fed tower 24.6m ht, with
4 top loading wires, the antenna dips with a gdo at 1.5 mhz, 110 degs, I have
installed a shunt at 16m point with about 1m spacing I found I could only tune
with a T match I put together, a series cap or an omega match did not give
results, the antenna works great with the T match, I have installed more
radials and am up to 60 now with about 25 of them 1/4 wave, the radials are
still work in  progress.

Today I tried the series cap again and moved the bottom of the shunt wire
closer to the mast about 300mm off the mast and found I could tune with a
series C and found a 1.6 - 1 match with about 275 pf.

I have looked at the graph in the ON4UN book and it looks like I am a bit low
with my gamma arm it seems it may have to go to the 19m point and then fine
tune with gamma spacing.

I did want the antenna to be on 1.5mhz so was please at that but could anyone
tell me if I am correct in thinking the gamma arm needs to go up, it would be
good just to use a motorised C possible a vacumm one eventually.

regards HNY all
John G4EIM