Topband: spectrum scopes, swling and contests

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: spectrum scopes, swling and contests
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:51:16 -0500
K5OAI wrote:

Using the above setup and throwing in the MRP40 cw decoding software, I am able
to copy signals that I didn't even know were there when scanning the band by
ear. I can find them on the pan as well as the waterfall displays and then
squeeze down all the filters and copy signals using MRP40 that just sound like
noise to my ears, even though they barely show in the panfall
display. I realize
there are many pgms that will decode cw, but MRP40 seems (imo) to be best at
weak signal decoding. Anyone have another pgm thy would recommend for this
please do so.

         Sam this is not intended to criticize anyone but simply to
make everyone aware of contest rules regarding the use of CW
decoders.  Using decoders like MRP40 or VE3NEA's CW Skimmer for most
contests (including the TBDC) puts you in the Multiop category (or
Assisted category for some contests).  See the TBDC rule 6 below:

6. Prohibited activities: Cluster spotting shall not be engaged.  Remote
    operation is permitted as long as all transmitting and receiving antennas
    used are within 100 km of each other.  Use of skimmer like devices are
    permitted for the multi-operator category only.

http://jzap.com/k7rat/stew.rules.txt

         Regarding waterfalls, I personally prefer CW Skimmer's to
any of the many I've tried (including PowerSDR, Winrad, Spectran, DSP
Blaster etc).  CW Skimmer also has a Blind Mode which doesn't decode
calls so it can legally be used in Single Operator or Unassisted
categories.  I believe it's important that we maintain the
distinction of human-copied versus machine-copied CW, otherwise our
contests will evolve into who has the biggest computer rather than
who has the best ears.  I have yet to find any decoding program that
can match the human ear for pulling weak signals out of noise in a
contest environment.  QRSS might work better but who wants to spend
an hour or more completing one QSO!  :-)

73 & Happy New Year!

Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Thanks for the QSO in the Stew Perry.  I always get a thrill
from hearing you and knowing about your QRP setup.

"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX