Re: Topband: European SDR on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: European SDR on 160m
From: DM4iM <hamradio@vr-web.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:48:12 +0100
A cheater might use a SDR somewhere as a receiving station and work DX
despite a deaf radio, crowded band, key-clicks, local qrm or whatever
limits his ability to copy that weak one he knows (from the cluster) is
there. All he needs is enough power and an antenna for transmitting. If
he is clever, no one will ever know he cheats.

This is not working dx. If your own stuff can't do it, don't use someone
else's stuff.

Martin

HNY

[SNIP]

 However, I don?t think it?ll be a major
> problem since the cheater is easily revealed. He is surrounded by many
> real radio amateurs with good receiving antennas and receivers. In a short
> while it becomes very well known who is cheating.
> It is not possible, as an example, to work a rare pacific station in broad
> daylight when a dozen of real hams within a few miles
> from the cheater, armed with various beverages and good rx don?t even
> hear a whisper on freq. The cheating guy generally goes qrt for ever when
> it becomes known what he has been doing.

[SNIP]

--

73, DM4iM
"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX