Re: Topband: FAR Circuits K9AY Loop Preamp/Bandpass filter

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FAR Circuits K9AY Loop Preamp/Bandpass filter
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:44:34 -0500
Pete,

You are looking at the schematic backward.  The input goes to
the filter then through the preamp and back out the relay.

The four series caps plus the shunt LC sections are a high pass
filter with a corner frequency about 1600-1700 KHz.  The four
shunt caps and three series inductors are a lowpass filter with
an upper corner frequency just above 4000 KHz.  The preamp is
a standard "feedback" design (see the W7IUV data or look at the
ON4UN "Low Band Bible").

In general the Far Circuits design is not too bad for something
that can be easily duplicated although I suspect the Q of the
inductors are not particularly high which results in greater
insertion loss and poorer stopband response than might be found
in a higher quality filter.

> I have a separate ARR wideband preamp here, which I have used
> with K9AY loops in the past with some success, but wonder if
> the FAR Circuits design would be better for 160 and maybe
> 80.

If you're happy with the ARR preamp and don't have BC overload
issues, you can probably bypass the Far Circuits filter/preamp
("main board") without a problem.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK