Re: Topband: Your 2 wire Beverage

To: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Your 2 wire Beverage
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:00:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi Rick,

My Beverages are made from homebrew ladder line. It's made from .061"
galvanized electric fence wire and 1/4" diameter spacers made from plastic coat
hangers.

It is extremely strong. A large, heavy branch fell on one of the Beverages last
May, and the wire didn't break.

I made a drill press fixture with a piece of wood and small nails, and between
that and a band saw, knocked out the spacers in short order.

I wanted to have it 10' high to clear a rider on a horse, so I calculated the
wire spacing so that the antenna impedance would equal the line impedance
(1.10") . That way, you can use 1:1 transmission line reflection transformers.

I have some photos I can put up on a Web site when I get time.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU