Topband: Solar Activity

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Solar Activity
From: Trent Fleming <trent.fleming@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:03:58 -0600
Remember, I am new to topband.  Apart from the obvious . . . when the flares
create SID that impacts the low bands, what else should I look for in terms
of Topband impact from the renewing solar activity?

Wow sunspot group #11041 has produced four M class solar flares so far
today, a new record for solar cycle 24. They are M3.4 at 1722 UTC, M1.9 at
1054 UTC, M1.7 at 0744 UTC, M1.0 at 0710 UTC.

The M3.4 solar flare created yet another sudden ionosphere disturbance (SID)
that absorbed radio signals causing a radio black out that reached as high
as 12000 kc on the sun light side of the Earth.

Geomagnetic storming (Kp-5) has commenced in association with new northern
hemisphere coronal hole #389.

Posted Wednesday January 20, 2010 at 0330 UTC

Recurrent solar cycle 24 sunspot group #11039 has risen above the SE limb of
the sun near 27 degrees south. It has been re-numbered #11041 by NOAA/SWPC.
It appears as though this sunspot group will be very active and entertaining
in future days and possibly push the sunspot count to new record highs.

--
Trent Fleming
Follow me on Twitter

My WebSite