Re: Topband: AM BCB noise in Portland, OR

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: AM BCB noise in Portland, OR
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:22:25 -1000
Tree,  surely is not the problem I am having out here,  there are
several stations
co-habiting a tower and the whole set up is junk, rusty and full of water,
I contacted the engineer and he confirmed the problem,  but it has not been
repaired since Nov.  It is getting louder and louder,  over S9 here at my
sunset and well after,   it has gotten so bad it has spread to 80 meters
now.
It sounds like cw,  hash type sound, like a bad connection somewhere,
(which it is)  there is now carriers every 10khz from 1700 to past 4 MHZ
and the go on and off with the bad connections.
Surely this has not propagated all the way to the mainland?
It is mixing from KNDI and two or three other stations out here on Oahu.
73 Merv
> Last night, I heard a very bad noise on the band.  It sounded like a bad
> connection somewhere that was mixing AM broadcast signals.  It was all
> over the band, but seemed worse around 1790 kHz.  It wasn't steady, but
> breaking up - almost sounding like someone sending garbage CW.
>
> This was similar to a noise I had heard a couple of years ago, but it
> went away after one night - before I could track it down.  I wanted to do
> enough DFing last night to find out if it was something local on my
> property - or far away.
>
> I got a bearing on it from my house (sort of west) which matched the
> beverage that heard the signal the best.  I found I could hear it on
> my car AM radio tuned to 1710 - so I started driving west.  The signal
> stayed pretty constant in strength even going a mile or more - so it
> was't something local to my QTH.
>
> I do have a big AM station about 3 miles west of me (KXL - 20 KW at night)
> and I drove over there and determined it was not that station.  From that
> QTH - I got a good bearing on the signal and it appeared to be from another
> big station that is about 10 miles from my QTH (KEX - 50 KW).
>
> I figure if it is coming from that far away - then it isn't something that
> is totally parasitic.  It is probably also loud enough that other people
> can hear it.
>
> Of course - this morning as I was driving by there on my way to work, it
> was all quiet.  Hopefully, it will stay that way.
>
> Tree N6TR/7

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK