Re: Topband: Beverages on the ground

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages on the ground
From: <dbevan@datacheck.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:23:37 -0800
Beverage antennas laying on the ground have been known to
work. I believe the first one was on a sandy beach. Many
years ago I visited Willem PA0HIP in the NL. Was suprised
to see that he was living in a townhome village, not
friendly to 160m antennas. However, he had a Beverage! It
located below the stepping stones on a footpath.
Performance of a Beverage on the ground is highly
dependant on ground properties. At 1.8MHz the electrical
ground can be as much as 30 feet below the surface. Dry
sandy soil will give the best results. Consider Herb's
comments on length and termination. Darrell,N6DX
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK