Re: Topband: SDR radio for 160

To: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: SDR radio for 160
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:42:06 -0500
Readers should be aware of some complications -- the amqrp.org link is
well out of date - like about 4 years.  For a time,
www.softrockradio.org was the place to go for information on the
softrock series of kits, but that site is now a mishmash of parts
offered for sale, with no particular link to the kitter, KB9YIG.  There
is a site, www.kb9yig.org, that purports to have prices and availability
information, but it appears to have been static for 6 months or so, with
almost no kits listed as available.  The softrock40 group on
groups.yahoo.com still appears to be active, and has a lot of
information in its files section, but nothing on availability of kits
since last May, and nothing by or about kb9yig since then either.

I always found Tony, KB9YIG, to be the soul of conscientious service and
reliability - it would be a shame if this effort is going offline.  I
hope Tony is OK, but have no clue.

73, Pete N4ZR
Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 1/31/2010 11:44 AM, rick darwicki wrote:
> The 160m SoftRock Lite II provides a simple SDR receiver with a fixed
> center frequency of approximately 1.842 MHz. When used with a stereo
> input sound card that can sample at 96 kHz, the band coverage is from
> below 1.80 MHz to about 1.89 Mhz.
>

> I bought the unit listed on eBay # 230429959974 out of a need to learn as a
> kit and built/tested it
> just to play with SDR receiving. It works great, I copied a lot of
> stations in the recent pile ups with just my 30' receiving wire.
> Assembled (when available) they cost $38. It worked well enough for me to
> consider
> some of the multiband and TX/RX kits
> Use
> a 9-volt battery or 9-12-volt AC/DC adaptor, not included.
> If you can't handle soldering surface mount stuff, buy it. There are 3
> IC and a bunch of SM capacitors on the bottom side of the board.
>   There is more info at
>   http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/ with links to tons of support,
> schematics and free software.
>
> Rick, N6PE

> Remember, Some things are not worth doing well

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK