Re: Topband: Equal opportunity

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Equal opportunity
From: "Carl Clawson" <carlclawson@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:12:51 -0800

This is one of my big peeves. I always log dupes. It's usually faster than
arguing with them, and with most stations using computers for dupe checking
you can be pretty sure that if someone calls you then you are not in his
log!

There are at least three ways to get a false dupe:

1. Incorrectly received call sign on one side or the other of the QSO.

2. Incorrectly SENT call sign. It happens, and sometimes they won't listen
when you try to correct them, if you even realize you've done it. In the
last CQWW I heard a CU who couldn't remember which club call he was supposed
to be using and was sending two different calls! Ah, the joys of sleep
deprivation...

3. You worked a close neighbor but the rhythym was right and he thought you
were working him. I have several QSL cards from stations not in my log,
where the time exactly matched another QSO in my log.

I wonder what would happen if a contest organizer declared "thou shalt work
all callers" and instituted a penalty for rejecting claimed dupes.

73, Carl WS7L

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK