Topband: Interesting Observation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Interesting Observation
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:11:18 -0500
Hi Guys,

I don't really know what the significance of this might be, as in all
honesty I never really had any reason to do this before...

In any event, here's the "interesting observation" alluded to in the title:
last October, when the outside air temperature here hovered around the 60's
F mark (it seems so very long ago that I can scarcely remember!), I set-up
the three inverted "L" elements in my array to each resonate within 1-KHz or
two, of each other, spot-on 1870-KHz (don't ask why I chose that
frequency---it's a L-O-N-G story, for some other time).

Yesterday I had issues with the rotary direction switch used here that I had
initially thought was a problem with the resonance shifting, for reason(s)
unknown, on one of the "L's"...so I repeated a check of the individual
resonance of each element again, but with the ambient air temperature now
hovering in the typical January low 20's F.

Lo & behold, each "L" now tunes to 1914-KHz, +/- 2-KHz---an upward increase
of some 44-KHz!

Whether this is because of the fact that the ground beneath the radial field
is now frozen, or because there are no leaves in the trees supporting the
elements (or sap flowing through the trunks & branches of same), is
unknown...but it IS interesting to note that the upward changes in resonant
frequencies were surprisingly in sync with one another.

Perhaps this might, indirectly, help explain why some antennas have
"...suddenly changed SWR" inexplicably in the past month or so, as more than
one topbander has told me...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK