Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: "'Milt, N5IA'" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>, "'Guy Olinger K2AV'" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:19:47 -0500
> If you remove the slit PVC tubes you will be subjecting the
> aluminum elements to stresses that they were not designed to
> receive.  The original U-clamps will be of the wrong diameter
> and will not fit around the elements correctly, compressing
> from the top only.

An even larger problem is that changing the elements of an
F12 antenna from insulated mounting to grounded with the
relatively large boom to element plate will detune the antenna.
The element mounting plates will change the effective length
of the elements and you will effectively have a different
antenna.  How much that changes the performance of the antenna
is hard to say but it's a big risk unless you know exactly
what you're doing.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK