Re: Topband: Newbie report

To: Mark Lunday <mlunday@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Newbie report
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mark,

I would be very happy to provide details of my Beverage receiving antennas.

I cc'ed this to the Topband list. There are a lot of good people there who also
have Beverages, that can help you.

You will hear lots more on a Beverage than on an inverted-L, or even a 1/4 wave
vertical. But Beverages require some room. Mine are 580' long. (How big is your
property?) You can see some photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/katie65752/BeverageAntennas#
The photos at the beginning were to demonstrate how incredibly strong the
plated steel electric fence wire was.

I plan to put up more info on a web site, when I get the time and energy. In
the meantime, if you have the book "Low Band DXing", by John Devoldere ON4UN
(4th edition), he describes the Beverage. I'm not alone when I say that I
highly recommend his book.

In addition to 160, I also enjoy SWL DX'ing on the AM broadcast band. On some
frequencies, I can pick out four different stations simply by selecting a
different compass direction.

If you don't have a lot of room for Beverages, there's alternatives, such as
the K9AY Loop.

I suggest you do also a Google search for "Beverage antenna" (with the quote
marks) if you want to read more about them. Another good search would be to
search the Topband archives for the same thing.

They are incredible antennas. You can't transmit on them, but do they ever pull
weak signals out of the noise!

BTW, Your e-mails keep going into my spam folder. Don't know why. You can try
to send to another e-mail address, mikewate [at] gmail.com, if you like.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU