Re: Topband: Staples

To: <W6osp@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Staples
From: "Craig D. Smith" <craig@powersmith.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:38:37 -0600
<> DX Engineering also has bio degradable staples

I've used these for part of my radial system and feel that they aren't the
best alternative, at least for my soil.  They are a wonderful idea, but I
had some problems.  Even when using great care when installing them about
one in three broke when being driven into even relatively soft ground.  This
essentially raises their already high price.  Some would go in OK, but the
top would then break off later exposing sharp plastic to people walking on
the lawn.  On the positive side, the oval shaped plastic tops of the broken
staples make great insulators for QRP antennas when you drill a couple of
holes in them.

After going through two or three bags of these, I switched over to
conventional wire lawn staples from Lowe's.  They don't break, stay put, and
will disappear completely below the lawn surface in a couple months.  Less
expensive also.

    73   Craig  AC0DS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK