Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges
From: sasas asasas <tzitzikas_ee@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:57:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hi. I have an transmitter at 160m band (500w). i know that when the weather is
bad, the antenna's wire (inverted L) has a voltage about several kvolts. I
would like to protect my transmitter. I am thinking to use a 2.5mH R.F choke
(1A max current) which i will connect between antenna's feedpoint and ground
system. What do you think about this solution? Some radio amateurs i think that
they use carbon resistances. Which solution is better? ( i don't like to
increase the swr by adding choke or resistance). Its better to ground the choke
or the carbon resistance to my transmitter's ground system or to the public
electric corporation ground system? thank you

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK