Topband: 2310 and 2325 as VK 160 indicators

To: "Dennis Peterson" <dennisissure@comporium.net>
Subject: Topband: 2310 and 2325 as VK 160 indicators
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:40:50 -0700
Friends in Radioland (as NM7M would have said):
A little more about 2310 kHz.

>GM Bob....................Please explain the frequency 2310 and 2325 ABC...
>saw your posting and was wondering what you were referencing.
Not much on the reflector at the moment, so I will risk a general answer rather
than several private responses.

2310kHz is VL8A (A for Alice Springs NT), 2325kHz is VL8T (T for Tennant Creek
NT).  They are in the Australian Domestic Radio Service, serving local
communities.  The antennas are designed for high angle (NVI), and back in the
good old days of the 90's when NM7M and I were playing with a trans-Pacific
study looking for high-angle entry for ducting and stuff like that on 160 from
May through August, we found that these two stations were audible almost all
the time, and there was "a degree" of correlation with conditions on 1830 kHz
or so.  Their signals peaked before our sunrise and dropped out sometimes long
after it, as did VK/ZL amateur signals.  We came to the conclusion that the
path VK/VE7 on 160 was very often open but nobody there (not an earth-shaking
discovery, but Bob liked "evidential confirmation" rather than "anecdotal
opinion").
2310 was a good enough signal that I was sometimes deflected from my duties
because I got interested in listening to the program, despite the fact I was
listening on the Corsair 2 rather outside its optimum sensitivity range and
usually on the non-directional transmitting antenna.
Bob VE7BS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK