Re: Topband: Dealing with the rotor on a driven tower

To: "'Brian Machesney'" <nekvtster@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Dealing with the rotor on a driven tower
From: "Chet" <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:10:38 -0400
Brian,

I too lack enthusiasm for tower climbing. Maybe I have been lucky but on my
shunt fed tower, I have three ham IV rotors, one for the C31XR, One for the
C4 and one for the XM-240, the latter two turn gates to which those antennas
are attached.  I put 1500 Watts or so into that tower all the time and have
never noticed any UNEXPECTED behavior on any of those rotors  in the 4 years
I have been feeding the tower.  All of these HAM IV's have been modified
with the brake delay and the heavy duty brake from ROTOR DOC.  C 31 has been
up there 9 years now and the XM-240 For 7. I saw your post asking how heavy
of a rotor you need.  The ham IV's have never blinked.  I am 7 miles off the
water here in VA and the top two came thru hurricane Ophelia which was at
105 kts when it went thru here.  Depending on where you are,  ice loading in
new England etc might require a heavier rotor than what I have.  I do have 2
spares ready to go but they are still in the box they came back in when
those were modified.

I don't have any experience with the yaesu' rotors

Press on regardless

73

Chet N4FX