Re: Topband: 160m Noise Floor

To: kd6nrp@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Noise Floor
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:50:35 -0700
Hi Brian,

I feel your pain!
Top band is a tough one for noise.  I also live in a California suburban
neighborhood.  Our power lines are not underground like a lot of the newer
areas and have been pretty noisy.  Gradually
I have been successful at working with our California electric company, PG&E to
fix most of the noise coming from the power lines and street lights.  Living in
California
you may have dealt with them before on RFI issues.  It is a slow process but
you can get results if you are patient and live long enough hi,hi. What I have
found that works the best is to do the
 tracking and pinpoint the noise source for them before calling them out.  Then
you can take them over to the culprit and point it out.
My suggestion, and maybe you have already done this is to insure that some or
all of the noise isn't generated from your own home.  What I would do is
temporarily run your HF rig
off of battery power in the shack and then shut off all electrical feed to the
house at the service entrance.  Then you know that the noise, if it remained,
is external to your home.
This is the first check that PG&E will do when responding to an RFI trouble
ticket, by the way.  They shut off power to the home and see if the noise
remains.  If it goes away then they will not
pursue any further, the noise is generated in your home not from their power
lines.   I would do this test first and based upon the results you can track
further.  I would be happy to
share some tracking techniques I have used if you are interested.
There are receive antennas that you can make that will help to reduce the noise
and external noise phasing boxes
that try to null out the noise but I would first work at eliminating the noise
at its source.

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On Sep 1, 2010, at 10:29 AM, kd6nrp@earthlink.net wrote:

> Good Morning:
>
> My QTH is in a suburban neighborhood surrounded by other houses. Manmade
> noise sources in the area are producing a receive noise floor of S-9 across
> the entire 160m band.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the noise?
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian, KD6NRP

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK