Re: Topband: double L antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: double L antenna
From: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:07:36 -0400
Jorge,

I have used this "bent vertical dipole" on an 80-ft tower for two
seasons. The vertical portion in my case is only about 70-ft, with the
bottom wire about 5-ft above the (very poor) ground. Using this
antenna for both transmit and receive, I have worked 132 towards DXCC
and 31 towards WAZ from FN34.

As the YCCC web site shows, you can make it into a two-band antenna by
adding a second element in parallel with the first element (like a
"fan" dipole). Since I only have two high supports (tower and one
tree), I added a parallel element for 80m, spaced about 6-in from the
160m element. The two elements interact significantly, resulting in
about 35-kHz 2:1 SWR bandwidth on 160m and about 150-kHz 2:1 SWR
bandwidth on 80m. You can overcome this problem by terminating the 80m
and 160m elements at different supports.

--
73 -- Brian -- K1LI

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM
<cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy> wrote:

> Someone tried this antenna?   <http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm>
> http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm
>
> Jorge