Re: Topband: To short or not short unused coil turns

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: To short or not short unused coil turns
From: WD8DSB@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:34:19 EDT
Thanks to everyone that responded to my original question, and below is a
summary of the responses I received along with a test I performed last
night.

I did receive a few direct responses to my question about shorting or  not
shorting unused antennal loading coil turns, and 50% of the  responses
directly supported my original belief that shorting unused  turns would have a
negative effect on efficiency, but it was also agreed that  shorting unused
turns are often necessary to avoid problems with arcing due to  the very high
voltages generated in the section of unused coil turns.

Last night I ran a simple test in which I selected the loading coil tap
point for 80 meters operation and compared received signal strength  using the
unused coil turns shorted versus not shorted (used a local  RF generator as
the signal source, and my HF rig with my 53 foot vertical and  loading coil
as the receiver).  My wife watched the analog S-meter on  my HF rig while I
shorted and un-shorted the unused coil turns and  there was no detectable
change in received signal strength regardless  if the unused coil turns were
shorted or not, indicating that any loss in  efficiency due to using shorted
coil turns was insignificant in my  application.

My 53 foot vertical currently has 15 buried ground radials and each radial
is approximately 60 feet long, so its possible that slight changes in  coil
efficiency were not detected due to the fact that my ground losses  are
probably much greater than the coil losses which would make the coil  losses
look small (insignificant) compared with the ground losses.

I repeated this test on 160 meters and again their was no detectable
change in S meter readings.

My loading coil is 91 turns of the MFJ 404-0669 inductor all in a straight
line (one continuous coil).  On 80 meters I am using 10 turns of the  coil,
and on 160 meters I am using 70 turns of the coil in order to obtain
resonance near the bottom of each band.

Based on my application I will use shorted turns since I was not able to
detect any changes in performance.

73's and thanks again to those that responded to my original  question.
Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK