Re: Topband: I just want to vent (a little)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: I just want to vent (a little)
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:52:42 -0500
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:55:40 -0500
  N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com> wrote:
> Tree wrote:
>> If a DX station has a pileup - I am not sure why you
>>need to spot them
>> anyway.  Let those who found them on their own have the
>>first shot at them instead of enabling those who are >>better at using their
>>mouse than their ears to work >>their DX.
>
> I agree 100% with everything else, but must admit to
>mixed feelings
> about this one.

I believe that Tree is suggesting to spot without posting
the RX FRQ, i.e. without adding "UP 1" or such. I believe
that on Top Band that could be useful as it could reduce
the number of "Can't hear, TX Only" callers. Of course,
many of them will just keep calling on a frequency where
others are calling. So the benefit could be limited. Still

I hope Tree is not suggesting not to spot. Spotting is
very useful for both callers and the DX. On TX3A and
VK9GMW we could clearly tell from the sudden increase in
callers when we were spotted after a band change. Without
that first spot it could have taken us a lot longer to get
up to our optimum QSO rate. That would have resulted in
fewer QSO-s and fewer ops making the DX.

It is super annoying when sombody who clearly can't hear
the DX keeps calling (and often with a great signal that
you just can't ignore). On the other hand, sometimes QSB
can be just of the wrong timing and a caller can get into
the wrong rythm.

So keep spotting, but on Top Band do not include the QRX
info. On the other bands similar situations are far less
common (or annoying), so include the QRX to save everybody
time.

GL and 73,

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK