Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

To: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:24:05 -0400
On 11/20/2010 3:23 PM, Kenneth Grimm wrote:
> Has anyone built a two wire beverage simply fed with two lengths of RG-6
> instead of the usual switching arrangement in the feed end box?  The
> arrangement appears in most of the literature since the earliest days, but I
> don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing it that way.  At this stage
> however, I've got more RG-6 than I have inclination to build a switch box,
> bias T, etc, plus the fact that I already have a switch box in the shack to
> take the two coaxes.  Advice appreciated.
>
> 73,
> Ken - K4XL
Ken,

I have tried both and actually prefer the switchless feed to a two wire
Beverage. They cost less and the problems with the relays and DC voltage
insertion is avoided.  I was able to get some 450 ohm two wire boxes
from Bruce K1FZ and have replaced most of the DXE feed units while
retaining their reflection boxes at the end. Since I run equal lengths
of 1/2 wave or multiples of a half wave to the switch-less matching
unit. the required unused port termination occurs at my Beverage switch
at the shack (A 12X1 Dynair push button video switcher which puts 75
ohms on all unused cables) I essentially have that termination appearing
at the two wire box on the unused port.

Herb KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK