Re: Topband: The AM Brick Wall

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The AM Brick Wall
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:14:35 -0500
>> Joe, W4TV wrote:
>>For those looking for solutions to eliminate/reduce
>>overload from
>> nearby AM broadcast transmitters,

I have a 50 kW BC station on 1530 kHz about 1.6 miles from
my QTH, with mostly salt water between us. The signal
level on my 90 foot Vertical is over 20 dBm. When you
touch a wire to the feedpoint you can see a small spark!

I find that most receivers' front-ends overload on this
antenna but when I turn on the internal antenna tuner, the
high-pass function of the tuner gets rid of the overload.

This may not work all the time, but is certainly a simple
and low cost solution, if it works for you.

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK