Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: "Topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:51:08 -0000
Gerry,

This morning was an example of the great advantage of the K3's phase-locked
diversity receiver. During my contact with ZL3IX, Greg was peaking 569 and
dropping to 449 in rapid QSB on both my vertical and my west beverage, but not
in the same phase. When he was down on one antenna, he was up on the other.
Using both receivers in diversity reception, he was a solid 569 continually.
The diversity receiver makes a big difference.

73
Tom G3OLB
(Copied to Elecraft Reflector)

VE6LB wrote:

<I'd like to understand what makes the K3 "hear" better. What they call
<roofing filters are simple 9 mhz Crystal filter know as 1st IF in older
<radios. DSP filtering has been around now for years and have certainly
<evolved in all radios. Can anyone quote side by side experiences with other
<modern radios (like an FT-5000) where the K3 was hearing weak 160 signals
<and the other radio was not.

<Gerry VE6LB
<who may be in the market
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK