Topband: Radios and contests

To: Group Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radios and contests
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:23:14 -0500
Good'day TopBanders,

My K3 did well during both nights. I had a strong FL
station who decided to settle 170 Hz above my CQ frequency
(170 Hz, for Christ's sake!) and all I heard was some
clicks (and his callers when they were off frequency).

Conditions not ideal. Even though I was operating from Rum
Cay in the Outer Bahamas -- almost the equivalent of a
mountaintop -- noise was a problem. There was a cluster of
powerful thunderstorms between Cape Hatteras and Bermuda
that put S9 crashes into my RX both nights. The noise
blanker of the K3 did not help much. There also seems to
be something with the AGC of the K3 that weakens the first
character of a call. It is hard to put a finger on it, as
it is very subtle. Perhaps somebody on this reflector will
know something about it...

Otherwise I can't complain: WAS took 3 hours and 42
minutes. The final score: 1340 QSO-s and 15 cans of
diet-coke.

TSK for all the QSO-s,

George, C6AGU (AA7JV)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK