Topband: 80m quarter wave on 160m... can support guys be used to provide

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 80m quarter wave on 160m... can support guys be used to provide capacitance loading?
From: Cormac Gebruers <ei4hq.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:30:18 +0000
Hi,

I've an 80m vertical that I want to use as my transmit antenna for topband.
It's about 20.5m high.

For reasons of weather survivial and because of the antenna construction my
plan is to base load for 160m with all the inefficiences/compromises that
flow from that decision. However, I've been wondering about something;

The antenna is supported by three non-conducting guys. The guys are
connected to the antenna at 13.5m above ground. They are angled downwards at
about 45 degrees to support points on the ground. This leaves 7m of the
antenna above the guy support point.

   1. Could the guys (replaced with conducting material of course and
   insulted before connection to ground anchors) be used to provide some kind
   of capacitance loading on 160m i.e. to provide a capacitance "skirt" as
   opposed to a capacitance "hat" and thereby reducing the size of coil needed
   at the base for 160m?
   2. Would this be any more efficient than a well made high Q coil at the
   base?
   3. Has anyone done this? How did you deal with practicalities like taking
   the guys out of the circuit when the antenna is being used on 80m?

--
Regards
Cormac (EI4HQ)