Re: Topband: W1FB preamp failure

To: WD8DSB@aol.com,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: W1FB preamp failure
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:09:06 +0000

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:33:20 EST WD8DSB@aol.com writes:
> Built a W1FB preamp (Aug 1988 QST) for use with my 4.5 square
> shielded loop
>  which is located in my shack, and the MC1350 IC gets permanently
> altered
> when I  transmit on 160 meters using my 53 foot base loaded
> vertical.

> Wonder if anyone else has experienced this same problem...

Yes!  I've had the burn-out problem when I operated with high power.
So, I built a protection device in the box with the preamp and
that took care of the problem.  The "Front End Saver" (I think that's
the title/name of the device) was in CQ Mag, Feb 97, pg 32.
Far Circuits may still have the FES PC board.

73,
Charlie, N0TT
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK