Re: Topband: ICE-196 has a catch-

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ICE-196 has a catch-
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:16:27 -0500
Bryon PAUL Veal n0ah wrote:
> The ICE 196 is a very cool design.....but if you are sending out
> voltage on your coax to control an antenna switch, relay,
> etc.......it may adversely effect the controlled device’s ability
> to operate properly- The company I purchased this from did not
> inform me about this, but I think it is a good to know- I now use
> radio Dan’s front end protector and the KD9SV solid state front
> end protector for my rigs-

I've been using an ICE 196 to safeguard my receiver for several
years and want to share something else I discovered about this
device. I suggest using a bandpass filter ahead of the ICE 196 may
be appropriate for some.

I was having a "mystery" noise problem. The noise had no special
characteristics. It appeared to be a large increase in normal "band
noise". I was only hearing it in specific directions, mostly SW and
W. I couldn't find the source of the noise. Eventually I realized I
was only hearing it on nights with exceptionally good low band
propagation. One night I discovered, quite by accident, that
removing the ICE 196 made the noise disappear. I later discovered
placing a 160 meter band pass filter ahead of the ICE 196 also made
the noise disappear, but placing the band pass filter after the 196
did not. My only "guess" is that a combination of very strong MW and
SW BC signals were enough to cause the diodes in the ICE 196 to
conduct, generating noise. I would note that I have no local
broadcast stations, so any strong signals I get are propagated via
the ionosphere! I did find some very strong MW BC signals on nights
when the noise was present, and some *unbelievably* strong SW BC up
around 5-6 MHz (I can't find my notes on exact frequencies). I have
been running with the 160m BPF and ICE 196 for several years without
problems. When using the Beverages on higher bands I must bypass the
filter, and in so doing I still have severe noise issues on nights
with excellent propagation. I need to add filters for the other bands!

BTW I do send out voltage on my receive coax to control remote
devices, but the ICE 196 is installed between my receiver and
voltage insertion point (control box for remote devices).

Paul, N1BUG
Aurora Sentry: http://www.aurorasentry.com
Piscataquis ARC: http://www.k1pq.org
N1BUG: http://www.n1bug.com