Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected

To: "160 reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected
From: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:56:40 -0000
Just a few comments to Mark WD4ELG:

I too have a single short Beverage, about 350' over clay soil and sloping up a
hill to the west, fed with about a quarter mile of RG58. It's really too short
for top-band, but it does work. Myself and some other Gs have been carrying out
daily long path tests with ZL3IX each morning at sunrise for a long while and
the beverage has shown itself to be definitely a great advantage over the
transmit antenna, an inverted 'L' at 80' and located well away from the house.

The transmit antenna itself is not a bad one for receiving as I am in an
electrically quiet rural location. Usually signals are slightly better on the
Beverage but not hugely. Then occasionally there is a huge difference. An
example of this was 2 mornings ago when Greg was peaking an excellent 579 on
the short bev, but was barely readable on the 'L'. I'm not at all sure of the
propogation mechanism at work here - anyone any ideas?

I usually use the two antennas in diversity receive mode on a K3 which gives an
added advantage.

73
Tom G3OLB
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK