Re: Topband: Beverage ground rod substitute

To: Thomas <ac7a@cox.net>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage ground rod substitute
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:08:11 -0400
On 1/23/2011 9:46 AM, Thomas wrote:
> All of this talk about a short Beverage antenna has me thinking I just might
> be able to install one 250-280' E-W wire. One issue would be the ground rod.
> The earth here  is Caliche which is quite similar in properties to concrete,
> so I can't drive a ground rod into it. I've thought about using short buried
> radials like I do with my K9AY, but the Beverage termination points will be
> in the extreme corners of my lot.
>
> Any ideas what could be substituted and might work as well as the simple
> ground rod earth? It is funny I find myself attempting to make the proverbial
> silk purse from the sow's ear!
>
> Tnx, Thomas - AC7A (Tucson)
Run a half a dozen 60 foot spiders from the ground connection in any
direction you can.  This will help stabilize your ear end feed impedance
at RF.
Even tacking down a expanded copper mesh ground screen fit into the
corner of your property will be good. The grass will grow over it in a
few weeks.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK