Topband: Skin Effect of RG-6U

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Skin Effect of RG-6U
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:02:52 -0800 (PST)
I have found that the quality, and therefore the loss, of RG-6 cable varies
quite a bit. On the average, I measure about 14 ohms of resistance in 500 feet
if shorted at the far end. Recently, I put up a dual flag RX antenna and felt
that the sensitivity was far down from normal. It turned out that my
resistance was about 20 ohms for 500 feet. I discovered some oxidized
connections in a splice and also some water contaminated aluminum shielding. If
you are going to use long runs of RG-6, I recommend Quad with the larger center
conductor, very careful sealing of any splices to prevent moisture, and if
available, flooded cable to seal any pinholes.

I have found that the low-price Home Depot stuff has a PVC jacket which is
easily cut and exposes the braid to moisture. The aluminum shield then starts
oxidizing.

73, Dennis W0JX/8

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK