Topband: 160 contest and SO2R

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 contest and SO2R
From: Ron Spencer <ron.e.spencer@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 16:16:51 -0500
  In this past weekend's contest I ran into this several times. I'd tune
the band, find a "seemingly" empty spot, listen and then send a quick ?.
Quick so that if its in use I don't cause QRM for too long.  Listen
again and if no response a quick QRL? If no response I'd start CQing.
Several times I followed that exact sequence only to have someone,
presumably the previous "owner" of that spot call CQ after I'd CQ'd,
sometimes, several times already. Again important to note absolutely NO
response to my earlier requests if that spot was busy.

Here is what I think is happening. Whomever was there was off working
someone on the second radio. Only after I started to send CQ did they
come back and "reclaim" the spot. I didn't want to waste the time and
effort going to war but I'm thinking that if you don't respond when I
ask if the frequency is in use, twice, then you've lost it. I'm there
now and you should move on. I appreciate you might have been off working
someone else, on a bathroom break or whatever but, you've still given up
that frequency. That is the chance you take when going SO2R (or whatever
took you away from the frequency). Notably it was usually a well known
big station that did this.

I didn't want to "fight it out" this time but perhaps next time I'll be
a bit more determined.

73
Ron
N4XD