Re: Topband: Top Band Receiving Antennas

To: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band Receiving Antennas
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:23:13 -0500
It would be interesting to see the K9AY with a preamp set to give the same
"gain" as a Beverage added to those signal reports in the future.

Since the Beverage is a non resonant piece of wire Im curious how close it
can be to those verticals? Since the verticals have little signal at about
7* and lower according to the article and probably much higher over poor
ground will a close Beverage wire have any effect?

I have room for either system but not both unless I go into a neighbors
woods behind me and run a 1000' feedline. They are OK with 2 reversible
Beverages going 400' and 600' beyond my property but may not approve of a
320' circle with a fair amount of trees removed no matter how poor (the
trees) and scruffy they are.

If I remained on my property at least 3 Beverages would be inside the
vertical circle and they could be dropped to 3-4' above ground. RF ground is
almost non existent here as bedrock is only a few feet down.

Carl
KM1H