Re: Topband: 160 metre vertical with 'top loading'

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 metre vertical with 'top loading'
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:52:13 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks Dan,

http://n3ox.net/files/nf.jpg

this is the best visualization of what is happening on typical loaded antenna
and that was the whole subject of controversy.
The other camp and theoreticians were trying to "prove" that the RF current
going into the coil is the same as coming out.
Thanks to "our team" arguments, EZNEC is now able to model effect of decent
size coil as shown in your JPG.
This was the point we tried to bring and correct some misconceptions floating
on the web.
Fine tuning can improve the efficiency of designs, but the main effect has to
be considered.
Now by comparing areas under the current curve, one can easily visualize and
predict the efficiency of antenna. Is there formula that can capture this?

73 Yuri, K3BU.us

now how can the current fly above the coil? (jus' kidding :-)