Re: Topband: Antenna Options for Upcoming Season

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Options for Upcoming Season
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:55:54 -0400
Mike,

You might want to look at the "Super Loop" at
larc.hamgate.net/SuperLoop.htm and
double the dimensions for 160 meters.  Remember the ladder line stub at
the center is 1/4 wave shorted and allows the antenna to work on both
160 and 80 meters with one feed line and no tuner provided by the
automatic switching of the stub.  The flat top portion is less than a
1/2 wave, about 224 feet and is usually lower noise than a 1/2 wave
dipole.  The antenna does have some vertical component for DX is should
be significantly better than a 1/2 wave inverted Vee cloud warmer.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 7/15/2011 3:01 PM, Ed Richardson wrote:
> Thanks Mike
>
> A delta loop would be great but I am not sure where I could pull the
> sides to and have them supported. Unless I am missing something obvious,
> I would need to stretch the sides to be parallel with the guy wires and
> I am not sure how well this would play. Installation may be tricky as
> well. I will investigate the idea for as you say, the delta loop would
> match nicely and could possibly be used on 80m with a little switching.
>
> Ed

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK