Re: Topband: Steeply Sloping Ground

To: <olinger@bellsouth.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Steeply Sloping Ground
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:47:18 -0500
Guy, my major local noise sources are power lines, which are located below me.

Your observation about the transmit antenna hearing better than the rx antenna
is true to the NW and to the SW.  For the most part, these two inverted L's
consistently hear better than any rx antenna we have tried.  However, my
beverages/flags for these particular directions were compromised by
routing/placement and these are two directions we hope to improve this year.

To the NE, which is one of my best directions, a 450' beverage running
partially sideslope and partly downslope is a major improvement in RX over the
NE inverted L.   Likewise, a 60 degree dual flag that was running sideslope was
a major improvement over the L and nearly equal to the beverage.

I think the dual flags offer the best chance for significant rx improvement,
especially in my problem directions where running a good beverage is difficult
to impossible.

Let me be specific with this question.  I have modeled the dual flag in EZNEC
2+ over level ground, and see the elevation response pattern.  By installing
the antenna over sloping ground in the target direction, do you think the
modeled elevation response will in practice shift down toward the horizon and,
if so, which configuration of the antenna will maximize this effect?  A level
antenna at unequal height over the ground or an antenna tilted down from the
horizon, but parallel with the earth surface.  My suspicion is the tilted
antenna would have the lowest elevation response but I am not sure.

Guy, I really appreciate your response to my question.  We have followed your
postings over the years, and I have great respect for your experience.

73 Chas N8RR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK