Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 105, Issue 29

To: "'John'" <john@all-the-facts.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 105, Issue 29
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:39:52 -0500
I would like some advice of using my crank up US Tower pole as an antenna
for 160. The pole is mounted on top of a concrete block that has 4 threaded
iron rods on which the pole is set . the block is 5 feet deep.

Does the concrete block insulate the pole from ground?

>From each of the 4 rods from the base I have a #8 copper wire to an 8 foot
copper clad ground rods. There is also a 30 foot copper tubing that is sunk
vertically into the ground.  I start getting water at  about 10 feet.

So any ideas as of what to in this situation. Best 73 John NS5Z

Hello John,

The concrete block does not insulate the pole. Concrete is very conductive
even after many, many years.
 I would recommend to Shunt Feed the tower. If you would like, I will send
you some information on shunt feeding a tower.
Almost any tower can be shunt fed for the low-bands.

I have been using 80ft of Rohn 45G with a stack of 20, 15, 10 meter yagis to
100ft. It works out great on 160.

73 from Price W0RI near St Louis

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK