Topband: Rx antenna suggestions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Rx antenna suggestions
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:06:22 -0400
Hello again,

Rig is a fully loaded K3. Tx antenna is an inv-L.

I need to do something with my Rx antennae; I have a couple 500+ foot
bi-directional Beverage antennae set up from a couple of years ago
but they have never done well. I live on the ocean and the beverages
(& radial field) is on a salt marsh. Great for getting my signal out
but I've come to understand that Beverages do not perform well at all
over a salt marsh and that they were a poor choice for this
installation.

I have a K9AY but it does not help as much as I'd like. It's better
than the vertical, quieter than the beverages are (salt marsh issues)
but they seem more to be good for nulling out QRN/QRM than helping Rx
a weak signal.

There's another ham who is in the same house who gets on 80M every
night and I did what I could to maximize the distance between his inv-
V on the top of the house and my Tx ant (350' away) and the beverages
75' to the closest part of the NE/SW beverage. His ant is 150' away
from the SE/NW beverage.

So I'm wanting to remove the beverages and use the twisted pair field
wire from them and make a more useful RX antenna. To switch the
beverage antennae I use an ICE remote coax switch and have RG6U
flooded coax running to and from it, to the two beverages. I have the
Array Solutions K9AY system.

>From what was suggested before, I've been considering making a 4 way
pennant antenna and building it in the woods, near the house but have
not seen one & I hate to admit I'm still trying to unearth my ARRL
Antenna Handbook and don't know how to make one. If there's a better
Rx antenna for 160 & sometimes 80 I'd like to hear what you have to
say. I still have time to make most anything but what I don't have is
lots of open space, nor can I put it on the top of the house because
of the other ham who is on 80M nightly.

Thanks!

Gary
KA1J