Re: Topband: Capacitor for Inverted L

To: <dj7sw@kcag.de>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Capacitor for Inverted L
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:23:41 -0500
The question of "matching" an Inverted-L comes up every now and then, and
under some circumstances it may be necessary to install some kind of
matching network, particularly if you want to operate across the entire
band.

However, for most situations I do not think a matching network is necessary
because the SWR will likely be easily "controllable" by simply adjusting the
length of the horizontal wire.  Even if you don't want to try this the
native SWR of a normal Inverted-L will be less than 2:1 for about 100KHz of
bandwidth.  Feedline loss is negligible on 160 and, in any event, most
transceivers and amps can easily match whatever impedance you encounter.

If you model a simple Inverted-L you can see that adjustments of a few feet
for the horizontal wire will put the low SWR point just where you want it in
the band and the radiation pattern is not changed to any meaningful extent.

So, for most people, fooling with a matching network won't buy you anything
but a lot of trouble and it adds another place for things to go wrong.  In
my opinion, the best thing to do is to put up the antenna, check the SWR,
make a length adjustment if you think it is necessary, and then go get on
the air and make some QSOs.

If you want to spend some time "fiddling" then my recommendation would be to
spend it on your ground radial system, not worrying about a matching
network.  As your radial system improves the matching will change, but you
can still make horizontal wire adjustments as well.

1138 Waters Edge Circle, Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (Office) - 318-393-3289 (Cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics
-------------- EnCase Certified Examiner ---------------