Re: Topband: Fwd: Capacitor for Inverted L

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: Capacitor for Inverted L
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:45:46 -0400
Sorry, have a misconstrued topic sentence below, probably from not finishing
an edit of the sentence from a double negative.  You can see that the topic
sentence is at odds with the details.  Thanks to KM1H for pointing out the
error.

Should start with:

Particularly for the very minimal radial systems some are forced to live
with, having high angle radiation may actually be a considerable advantage.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> Particularly for the very minimal radial systems some are forced to live
> with, not having high angle radiation may actually be a considerable
> advantage.
>
> If one does not have "dense" and uniform radials the ground field
> cancellation advantage of radials is lost, and having a low current center
> on the vertical section now is a lossy issue.  The max would be right at the
> grass or at the base of elevated radials, basically as low as you can get.
>  Since for many this ground cancellation advantage cannot be had on their
> property, the next best thing is to get as much current center as far UP on
> the vertical wire as is possible.  My current center is between 70 and 90
> feet up on the wire and the horizontal is 105 feet.
>
> My driveway bisecting the area under the only plausible wire location would
> not have allowed a "T," but reflection on the issues says I'm better off
> with the L.
>
> Given how lossy some grounds can be, and with less than dense and uniform
> radials, for a given installation a "short" T may simply be *throwing away*
> the energy not radiated at horizontal angles.  Remember that the
> horizontally polarized radiation is not subject to the horrendous ground
> losses of vertical polarization.
>
> With vertical antennas on 160, the five ton elephant in the room is what
> one is doing about ground losses.  Everything else is yippy puppies.  Unless
> one has an excellent radial system, reducing ground losses is about the only
> significant question.
>
> 73, Guy.
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM, ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK