Topband: Two wire Beverage Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Two wire Beverage Question
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:11:32 -0400
I have a 900 foot WD1-A two wire Beverage that runs east and west and
works well and has a great FB ratio on 160 and 80 meters. It is fed with
a KD9SV box and reflection transformer for WD1-A telephone wire. I have
swept the antenna with an analyzer and the antenna is relatively flat
beyond 10 Mhz.  However I notice that when I try to RX  with it on 7Mhz
the reception (noise level) drops to the floor and signals are not there
in the West direction (Reverse Direction) but OK in the East.  The noise
floor drops a good 30 db and the receiver appears dead on 40 to the west
but works well to the East.  I have an identical WD1-A two wire Beverage
running NNE and SSW which works fine on 40 meters in both directions.  I
have absolutely no idea why this should be the case except that the
cable feeding the Beverage box is RG-6U and could have some water
encroachment which increase the losses at 7MHz greatly.  Before I do a
new cable run I plan to just swap the two RG-6 cables and see if the
problem reverses now to the East rather than the West.  I post this to
ask if anyone has had a similar experience with a well functioning
Beverage that appears completely dead on 7 Mhz and above.

Thanks for your help.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK