Topband: bottom fed antenna causing broad band signal?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: bottom fed antenna causing broad band signal?
From: BRYON PAUL n0ah VEAL <bryonveal@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:10:41 -0600
I have a good friend who has a 1/4 wave 80 foot vertical (63 feet) who decided
to put a 100 foot coil to bottom feed the antenna for 160M.  Using a tuner, (no
UnUN) he is resonant at 1.830 but the signal is very broad banded at 4 miles
away. Originally, he started with a coil made of 50 feet of copper and was
resonant at 1.890Mhz.  Any red flags with this design to warrant this problem
of hearing him 30KHz wide, (10 up, 20 down) ?? On the scope, the signal looks
very clean, and I only see it 3-5 Khz wide, as I would expect. Hut he is
transmitting CW on LSB using CW software.  The coil is only around 2 1/2 inches
wide- I am thinking larger turns would be less of a coil-  Any suggestions
appreciated- this is not an antenna I understand very well but would like to
get some input- The station is very clean for issues but is the coil suspect-
I think I would just gone with an Inv L....... hihi
Please feel free to respond to n0ah@arrl.net.

Paul  N0AH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK