Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 18:38:58 -0700
Longer would be better for 160.  There are some sweet spots for length
for 160.

You need a matching system.  Dx Engineering makes a pretty slick two way
system with the matching units etc.

You don't have to slope the ends.

Check out Low Band Dxing by ON4UN.  There is a lot of great information
about Beverages.

I don't recall reading anything about an optimum height above ground.

Mike W0MU

J6M CQ WW DX CW Contest 2011
J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 11/8/2011 1:56 PM, wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:

> Good afternoon to ALL!
>

> I am getting ready to put up a beverage for top band.  I have decided that I
> want to put up a two wire system
>
> using window line because of the ease of assembly.  I am not sure if I will
> use it in the null steering mode
>
> or just switch from front to back. I will decide that after I get it up.
>

> After reading the original W1CWR handbook, a book written by K3OQF and
> several articles by Beverage
>
> himself (as well as other references to include much written by W3LPL and
> W8JI) and tempering it with
> my site requirements I have pretty much decided to put it up 7-8 ft in the
> air. BUT... I have several questions.
>

> 1. Is there an optimum height above the ground?
>
> 2, Can I get away with not sloping the ends toward the ground? (the deer are
> heavy around here)
>
> 3. I have 491 ft of window line should I just put that up or should I order
> another 100ft and splice
>
> it together?
>
> 4. What other suggestions do the readers have?
>

> Thanks
>
> Jim WAMEJ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK