Re: Topband: Receive antenna dilemma

To: "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Receive antenna dilemma
From: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:00:33 +0100
Hi,

I do not know what our antenna's gurus will say about that but I can
recommend DO NOT spend so much money for that "magic" receiving antenna.
Try all the other "free" first > like BOG, loops etc. You will spend
just few USD and You will get more experiences what works for You and
what
does not work in Your place. Finally if You are looking for some
commercial
then have a look for 3el. Hi-Z array. Even You can do it home made and
works
well > just put it as far as possible each of the verticals apart from
TX ant.

My 2cents...

73 - Petr, OK1RP

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:04:32 -0500, "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>
said:
> Since I can see that my preliminary BOG installations are not yielding
> satisfactory results, perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.
>
> The BOG as unerminated, 200 feet long each, on pointed 210 so I can hear
> EU
> off the back.and one pointed 300 so I can also hear Afrida off the back.
>
> I din't have room for longer BOGs, and I don't see a reason to put up
> beverages of that length as the performance will be sup-optimal.
>
> So I am looking into other alternatives.   The K9AY would be too close to
> my
> transmitting antenna in the back.
>
> The DX Engineering 4-pack active receive antenna array package looks
> interesting.  It's a but challenging to get set up, and it's about $1000.
> While I want to get some more activity on 160, I am not sure that this is
> the way to go over my inverted L.  Will it hear that dramatically
> different?
> AA6YQ says he loves his/  I trally need to be sure before I make a large
> investment like this.
>
> http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=5255&PLID=255&SecID=117&DeptID={95
> EA549F-3210-474F-84E0-5BE0B267BC4C}&PartNo=DXE%2DRFS%2DSYS%2D4P
>
> Advice appreciated
>
> WD4ELG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK