Topband: Newbie to 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Newbie to 160
From: kbpaxson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:13:17 -0500 (EST)

I just wanted to say thanks to all that I worked in the recent ARRL 160 Meter
Contest.  It was my first attempt at 160 Meter operation.  I ran a 90' Inverted
L with an apex at 35', with the top wire sloping to 15' with only a single 90'
counterpoise wire 5' off the ground.  I was limited to 50 watts, since I used a
SGC-237 tuner at the base.  I bet that my 50 watts was more like 25 watts ERP
or less!!!  But I did make it to ME, ID and ZF2 and many states in between.
Many of you have great ears !!!  Next up is a full radial system, an 8' ground
rod and a 1/4 wave resonant length L to allow a full 100 watts, by not using
the SGC-237.  I live in a CCR/HOA subdivision here in north Houston, so my
Inverted L goes up at dusk and comes down after dawn.  I had fun and hope to
see you all again.  I also have learned a lot by reading all of the everyone's
past posts.  73, Kevin B. Paxson - Ni5o

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK