Re: Topband: ARRL 160 meter Contest Redux

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 meter Contest Redux
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:34:09 -0400
  GE Herb,

  As much as I *DO* sympathize with your situation, I must tell you, that
you are not alone.

  For some contests I am in "MAR" and some contests I am in "NB" (I would
prefer to always be in NB, as that's where I am....I am not really in some
ficticous area the ARRL has deemed as "MAR" )(NB, NS & PEI and sometimes
NF/LB!!)

  Then, there are other contests, that yes, I am indeed in "NB" (like
ARRL-10m) yet all the results and records are grouped into MAR......look it
up if there are any doubting Thomas' among us.

  That's like saying that AA3B won for PA, but all the results get lumped
into all areas of W3 and we'll call it "Dubya 3" and only NY3A gets listed
as a winner, but nobody from DE, MD, etc. gets listed.  Totally
unacceptable.

  There are no other US States, that I can think of, off the top of my head,
that get lumped into other States, and made an "area"........sometimes there
are very very few hams on in any contest (insert your favorite contest here)
from certain States, (where was Delaware this weekend in the ARRL-10?) but
you'll always find a handful of VE1's, VE9's, VY2's and VO1's.....I am sure
you all recognize VE1OP, VE1DX, VE1YX, VE1RGB, VE9DX, VE9AA, VE9HF, VE9ML,
VY2SS, VY2TT, VY2ZM, VO1TA, VO1MP, VO1HP, VO1KVT..........to name but a
few.....heck, excluding VO1's, we have 45 members+ in the Maritime Contest
Club alone, and this does not even consider the guys that contest, but are
not members of the club.  I think I have made my point.....

  It's not fair, but it falls on deaf ears.

  Mike VE9AA.........this weekend I am in a MAIDENHEAD gridsquare !  Yeeha !
Suddenly , a level playing field.
  Thank you Stew !