Re: Topband: The antenna is UP!

To: <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The antenna is UP!
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:59:12 -0700
Bill: if you get on 160 I'll be listening for you ---- I can only run 20 watts
max (most often I'm QRP power) but I'll certainly be listening around and if'n
I hear ya I'll be calling ya!

For others:  I sure could use a sked with someone located in VA and MS as those
are two of the closer states I need to work for QRP WAS on 160 meters (get
those two and I'll only have 7 more states to go, albeit all of them are on the
east coast and conditions haven't been very good lately for even hearing any
east coast stations out here in s/w Utah with my not so good antenna system).

So, anyone in MS or VA who'd like to try a sked this evening or, perhaps,
tomorrow morning let me know.  Thank you!  72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

> From: wrcromwell@gmail.com
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:55:14 -0500
> Subject: Topband: The antenna is UP!
>
> Hi,
>
> I survived the adventure in the trees. I left some droop in the wire to
> allow for trees to move in the wind. At the far end of the wire I added
> a screen door spring just in case it gets a little too tight. Time will
> tell if I eyeballed that right. The wire can slide in the fence
> insulators I installed so I am hoping the whole affair will stay up
> through winter. I have a counterpoise wire laying on the ground. Oh
> yeah..the antenna has passed some initial tests. I found on-air signals
> on 40 through ten meters and so far it works as well as or better than
> my 100 foot loop. I tried loading it on 80 meters but the transmitter I
> have on line at the moment seems to have some "issues" on 80, even with
> a good 50 ohm dummy load. Ain't it great running "vintage" gear. I plan
> to use my Johnson Ranger in the Stew so I'll move that up and try it on
> the new antenna. The Johnson has some "issues" on 40 and up but works
> fine on 160 and 80. It would be great if I can get on 80 and 160
> tonight.
>
> The outdoor water sports part of this adventure is now over!! I'm warm
> and dry again.
>
> 73,
>
> Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK